9 Tips to ease anxiety and stress through the crisis
Mar 01, 2021
We are dealing with unpredictability, chaos and unknowns. People are
feeling unsettled and less in control. It is more important now than ever to be
socially connected, this is a need of our spirit. By depriving ourselves of this we will
be creating more emotional, mental and spiritual distress. Creating more distress is
a downhill spiral for our wellbeing and health.
So How can we ride this wave of turbulence like a skilled surfer and perfectly be in
harmony with the wave?
Here are a few practical tips that may help you prevent yourself from falling into the
depths of the dark fearful ocean.
- Practice Gratefulness: Write down what you were grateful for each day.
- Create a schedule of your day: This I found especially important when feeling
overwhelmed. It really helps to keep you clear on your present day, and
what needs to be done
- Appreciate: Find something to appreciate daily
- Finding Meaning and purpose four yourself in the current situation: not
being clear on your own meaning and purpose will create spiritual distress.
- Practice a 3:1 Ratio of positive: Negative emotions to improve your overall
- Bake or Cook/colour/paint/sing: This may satisfy your need of the spirit,
- Move- Dancing, Yoga, Tai chi, walk in nature: This will satisfy the need of the
spirit to let go and feel free.
- Engage in a mind-body-spirit connection, maybe that is connecting to nature
or listening to inspiring music, meditation, prayer, worship.
- Have a social virtual gathering daily with those you love, laugh with them,
sing with them, cook with them, cry with them. Be you with them!
Remember as health professionals, finding strength in the chaos is not new to us!
Every day we are in amidst of others suffering and pain. Our strengths do not
change in this pandemic. Practicing the above tips and reminding ourselves of our
ability to lead, remain committed, calm, thoughtful, productive and faithful as we
have done in the past will help us get through this together.